Thursday, February 14, 2008

I am Too Young for This

Today was my annual checkup with the OB/GYN. It's not that it went badly, but I do have to go back for an ultrasound (and not the fun kind, like when I was pregnant), get a mamogram, and go for genetic counseling. My mother had breast cancer before age 45 and I am in a high risk group, so the doctor wants to get more info. It's not that I am paranoid that I have anything, I just don't want to face the stress of having to go through all these tests. Honestly, I didn't think that I would be doing this until I was at least 40!! I tend to be a bit of a worrier, so having to wait a week for the ultrasound will be tough.

The positive thing that came out of this visit, was a referral for a PCP. So ladies who need the name, just let me know. Also, it prompted me to get the kids physicals on the books before it is too late. Plus I remembered to book LD's re-check for her ears. Hopefully she will get the "all-clear" next week and we don't have to worry about the possibility of tubes.

Oh - and the OB/GYN said that it is not necessary for me to have a bone-density test that me old PCP suggested (remember "SUPERDOC" from my previous post "A Good Doctor is Hard to Find". What a dope!

It's a good thing that the "cookie fairy" left me cookies in LD's cubby at daycare - I will really need one when I get home!

3 comments:

KiKi said...

mmmmm... cookies.

I am in a high risk group too and started mammograms two years ago (age 30). My mom, her sister, and their mom all had breast cancer. (My mom and aunt beat it.) My dad's mom also had it and beat it. I feel you.

DaisyJo_Mom said...

Kiki -

Thanks for the encouraging words. I guess it is best to have the tests and take care of myself. I am only 30 myself, so not prepared for all this stuff.

AmyBow said...

ugh. like you don't have enough drama in your life. I hope everything is nothing. Keep me posted.