Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Money Really Can Buy Everything

I grew up in a fairly affluent town in CT. My grandparents raised me and provided a very nice and confortable life, for which I am very grateful. During my childhood, I was used to seeing extraordinary spending (16 year olds with BMWs, etc.), but I was totally taken aback while listening to the radio on my way to pick up the kids from daycare.

The DJs were discussing how there are people who are "renting wombs". Basically this means that you provide the egg and sperm and someone else carries your child (for $$$$) - this way you don't get stretch marks or have to endure the pain of child birth. I mean really people!! This is totally insane and beyond vain! I know that some couples must use this method because they are not able to carry a child on their own, which make sense - but to just pay someone else to do it for you is outragous.

Part of the joy of parenting is going through pregnancy. Yes, you are uncomfortable and you get big - certainly, childbirth is no trip to the beach either, but it is the start of the connection with your child from day one for both mom and dad.

Each day I am with my children is a gift, including the days I was pregnant with both of them. Although there are times that things are crazy, JT and I are amazed by RJ & LD each day and wouldn't trade it for anything.

No comments: