Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus (or Explorer)

This morning the daycare was on a 2-hour delay. We had snow last night that turned to icy rain, then to regular rain. So my girlfriend from daycare and I decided I would take all 4 kids today (she has 2 kids the same ages as RJ and LD) and she would do the next delay. It works out really well, plus the 4 year olds were ssoooooo excited to go to school together.

So, everyone arrived at our house this morning at 8:30am. The kids got right to playing - RJ, LD, and S decided that the empty diaper box would be the best thing to color on. So I opened up the box and they got the crayons and went to town on the dining room table, while J had a blast with RJ's train set in the living room. LD was so thrilled to be with the big kids - she even let her creative juices flow onto the table. (By the way - you can get crayon out of tile by using a srubby sponge and some Fantastic Oxy spray). Everyone then decided it was time to play with the trains - well everyone, but LD - she decided to dump all the crayons out on the floor and chair. I proceed to clean it all up whild LD helps (by throwing them into the bin and they bounce back out).

I decided that would get going a little early so we can go through the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru. So in goes RJ and S to the way back of the Explorer and LD and J into the middle and Mom up front. I know a mini-van would just be more practical - but c'mon - I am way toooo young!! (Plus JT just won't let me).

We make it through the drive-thru successfully and everyone is outfitted with a Munchkin (mom now has her coveted iced coffee). We make our way to school singing and having a good time. We get there and there are people standing out front waiting to be let in. There is a sign on the door that says "DOORS OPEN AT 10AM". Honestly, you all see a bunch of wet, cold people at 9:55am - just open the friggin door! Everyone is dropped off and happy - Mom is off to work - 1 1/2 hours late!! Thanks goodness my new company is really great and didn't mind the tardiness.

Althought a hectic morning, it was fun. I enjoying helping out friends and being with the kids. I find that at this point in my life it is really great to have friends who are at the same stage as you are. It really nice to know that I can help out my friend with the kids and that she is there for me.

2 comments:

AmyBow said...

So silly to see everyone standing out in the rain. The hallways would have been a perfectly acceptable place for people to linger...typical.

Regardless, I am glad everything worked out and really glad to know that it is possible to manage 4 kids, if even for a morning.

DaisyJo_Mom said...

I know. Actually 4 of them isn't so bad. It was really cute because the 2 older ones were taking care of the 2 little ones.